Tuesday, September 26, 2006

She's a Saint but she smokes!


Saturday, William and Chicken took me up to see Mt. St. Helens. The weather was made to order and the drive was beautiful. One of the first things you notice is the replanting of trees. As in most replanted forests the trees are all symetrical and the same size, which creates an impressionistic landscape. Weyerhauser also planted along with fir trees, red alder and it was strange to see whole forests of them. Soon after though, the landscape shifts and rounding up the backside of the mountain you are impressed with the lunar landscape where the Lahare flows are. We saw 3 bull elk from the lookout, visited the museum and saw the film and then we were on our way to the front side of Helen. I cannot impress upon you overwhelming sensation of your own small self in the face of the power of nature when you look at her from this angle. She had at least 3 plumes going up at the same time. At her base we saw more elk crossing a ravine. I don't think she is ready to completely rest yet, time will tell. Nature is so powerful and wonderful and frightening at the same time. If you get a chance, I would encourage you to make the trek as it is a wonder of the age. Thank you William and Chicken for this special trip and another great memory stored.

5 comments:

... said...

I agree with you on the powers of nature....a little nature is all it takes to make us realize that we are not the center of the universe...I love how nature gives me a bit of perspective and always when I need it most.

I wish I could have been there with you guys, sounds like fun and I haven't been there since she started venting again which I imagine is really cool.

Isn't it awesome how they have that movie set up to end and then the windows open on that view? I thought it was done quite well and I know I was holding my breath hoping for some of those people to make it down the mountain in time.

Chicken said...

It was very impressive and I hope that we can do it again when the mountain has some snow on it.

M- We didn't watch that movie. We saw a different one at the Forestry Museum down the road. Next time we will have to check that one out. It would be cool if we could all go together!

Haha said...

I think that would be a great idea, I am sure that seeing it with snow on it really gives more perspective and a better photo. I will be looking forward to another trip!

SJ said...

Must get to see that area sometime. Never been.

Chicken said...

Hey SJ come visit and Sprite and I will show you around.